Monday, October 6, 2014

Day 6: One More Thing Off the October Bucket List

This will not be the longest Thought ever written, but it is a banner day for me and merits mention. Today I got a package in the mail. This was no ordinary package. It came bearing October goodness. With the help of the United States Postal Service and online shopping, a goal that has been in the making for at least 12 years, possibly even longer came true today.

You see, ever since I was a wee thing, I have had somewhat of a "thing" about socks. Some may say that the suit makes the man. For all I know they may be right. But for this gal, socks make the woman. You can be as fancied up as Eliza Doolittle at the Ascot races. You could be an Oscar winner on the big night. You could even be the President of the United States, but underneath it all, you could have on Daffy Duck socks.

Wearing sneaky socks is a quirk of mine. Why wear plain old white, when you can wear neon green with monster eyes. I call them sneaky socks, because unless you are the type who wears socks with sandals, most people can't tell or don't even bother to look at what you have crammed into your shoes besides your feet. Sneaky socks can really showcase your personality/emotions. Maybe you have a hard test that day. Why not wear Einstein socks or Superman socks. Maybe you are going out on your first date with your crush. Perhaps kissy face socks with hearts are for you. Perhaps you are dealing with your arch nemesis who is scared of spiders. Well, you can pretty much guess that one.

October is the perfect month for me to let my sock ridden freak flag fly. But they can't be just any socks, they have to have some sort of meaning. They have to stand out in some way. Which when it comes to October is not that hard of a goal.

Oh right, about that package. Today I got 8 pairs of socks. This put me over the limit on my lifetime goal to have one pair of Halloween socks for every day of October. Now to my knowledge, no one has yet made a pair of Pumpkin Spice Latte socks (and when they do, you know I will be buying them) so most of my socks are scary. But I don't' care. I love every one of them.

Sadly, with the weather being really nice this year, I have not had a chance to wear my socks every day, but I have taken them out and fondly looked at them. I have socks of every hue, but mostly orange, black and purple. I have cats, candy corn, bats, vampires, the Bride of Frankenstein, people dressed up like the Bride of Frankenstein, scarecrows both tame and scary, haunted houses, spider webs, witches, Frankenstein himself (though now that I think of it, why don't they make a pair of socks with Frankenstein on one and the Bride on the other? I would totally buy those, anyway) I also have pumpkins, leaves, ghosts, skulls and my new favorite, a dancing yeti with a disco ball. I wish they hadn't used Christmas colors on that sock, but yeti with disco ball trumps my preferences. Besides, it just means I can justifiable wear them at Christmas too.

Some socks have been given to me by dear friends. Some I have bough at pivotal moments in my life. I can tell you the story behind almost all of my socks. Some are funny, some not so much. Some stories are a bit heartwarming and some simply are "I saw these cute socks online and had to buy them." Thankfully most have a better story than that.

At 34 pairs of socks, I can wear one every day of the month if I so choose. I can even change them multiple times a day and still have some left. Will I stop collecting October socks now that I have reached my goal? Heavens no. Maybe I will make a new goal, 365 October socks. With such a lofty ambition, it could be October all year round on my feet. What a treat.

No comments:

Post a Comment