Friday, February 1, 2013

February Time Vortex

It's funny how life jumbles you up. One minute you are sure, no, absolutely positive that you will be doing one thing, then BAM, suddenly you are doing something else. Back in October I fully planned on doing an October Thought every day of the month. I thought about the topics all year. I mulled them over all month. I wrote. I made it to the 30th and was feeling pretty proud that this year, I would make it. Then our house caught on fire and everything changed.

Oddly enough, it hasn't been all bad. Sure, precious things were lost. But the people and pets were all ok. True, I live a modified lifestyle that borders on perpetual camping, but it is kinda fun. The loss of the old, makes way for lots of new. And that isn't turning out to be such a horrible thing. It is kind of illustrating the metaphor that has become my life. Out of the ashes, something new and exciting is rising.

Way back in October, when I thought I had life all planned out, (and really, I should know better) I agreed to blog with a friend for the month of February. Looking three months away, sure, why not promise to blog. But last night, while I was lying awake watching the new month roll in, I realized that man, that time went fast.

For some reason February has taken on the traits that I usually associate with January. This might be because I spent all but 6 days of December being sick and January was more of a reprieve than a resolution. I didn't feel like starting new. I just felt happy to be breathing. But February, one of my throw away months (sorry all you February babies) is turning into a month of rebirth and new dedication. I feel like I am finally starting to get my life back in order. Like the newness of January was only a nebulous holding cell for me to wait and burst forth come February. I have never felt anything like it.

I was looking at my various calendars and realized that TONS of amazing things are going to happen in February. There is my 4th favorite holiday, Ground Hog Day! There is Ash Wednesday, a Valentines Dinner to go to, a bridal shower for a friend, the Super Bowl, the Oscars, Psych comes back on...ok, it seemed like there was more going on, but still.

I feel imbued with hope and possibility. I feel shiny and new. I feel like it is a new beginning. Like I said, I am a month off. These are usually my feelings for January. I think it is all a part of the calendar months trying to get back on my good side. See, Normally I find November and February throw away months. Each comes after spectacular months and are a bit of a let down. Kind of like the day after Christmas. But this year I felt a strong good will for November, and suddenly I am digging February. Who knew. February is the new black, and I'm going to wear it proud.
So come on February, let's see what you got!


**UPDATE** So, February proved to be a formidable foe. And only 6 days in. There is a slight change of plans. I will still blog in February, but it will be for Lent. I think a good time of reflection rather than love introspection will be a better blog topic. See you soonish.

No comments:

Post a Comment