Thursday, October 11, 2012

Feelin' a Bit Colorful: OT Day 11

I think that October has the monopoly on color. What's that, you don't believe me. Then let me prove it to you. November has brown. December has red and green. January is all about the silver. February is pink and red. March is green, April is blue. One could say that May has a large color palette with all the new flowers, but mostly I don't associate May with a specific color. It is the Switzerland of the months. June is white. July is red, white and blue. August is a blazing yellow and September is yellow and red.

But October. October has the richest, most vibrant colors one could ever imagine. October is the reason color was thought up in the first place. One could say that Octobers colors are red, purple, orange, yellow and black. But that is like saying ice cream is just ice cream. October doesn't just have red, it has scarlet, crimson, fire engine, cherry, vermillion, maroon, brick and candy apple just to name a few. Of the yellows there are mustards, goldenrods, neon, gold, bronze, amber, maize, blonde, and lemon. Purple makes a grand showing with plum, eggplant/aubergine, indigo, violet, wine, orchid and lavender. Black has coal, midnight, ink, velvet, obsidian, shadow, onyx and jet. And these are just the names I can come up with off the top of my head. I'm sure the people who think of make up names, interior decorators and paint swatch people could list dozens more. (man I want that job, whoops, sorry, got sidetracked there)

But the color I most associate with October is orange. There is tangerine, peach, burnt sienna (thank you Crayola) flame, carrot, ginger, rust and creamsicle. Funny how there are more descriptive names for the other colors, but for orange, not so much. Then it's wierd how the ones it does have are food related. I think it is because October is so hard to pin down and explain. Really, the best things are. You just have to experience it to understand. I can tell you about the orange of a pumpkin sitting in a patch waiting to be chosen. Or a magnificent orange sunset. I can convey the crackle and pop of a bonfire or the crunch of a leaf, but I just can't tell you the color other than orange. But somehow, if you truly love October you will still understand.

October has an embarrassment of color. From the tantalizing foods on display in the farmers market, to the vibrancy in the color palette of a costume. There are colors a plenty in the candy choices and decorations. But the best way to experience October color is in the leaves. To channel my inner SAT prep professor, leaves are to October as snow is to Winter.

Every summer, and sometimes sooner, I find myself looking to the trees trying to find that first tinge of something other than green. Don't get me wrong, I love green. It is tied for my favorite color with blue, but there is something about autumn that makes me want to wish that green away in a hurry.

Leaves are sneaky things. One moment they are green and bright and swaying on the tree. The next they are almost every color of the rainbow and floating gently to the ground on a cool breeze. When October leaves are really in their glory the trees seem like they are on fire. But in a good and beautiful way. The closest I can come to explaining how I see fall trees, is if you watch the movie Pleasantville. Most of the movie is in black and white. But as the characters have awakenings color starts to enter into their world. One character walks by a tree that has been in black and white for the whole show. Suddenly it has burst into flame. The tree is burning brightly but it is night time and it is on fire in a black and white world. The flame is shocking in contrast and beautiful and you can't take your eyes off of it. That is how I see October trees.

In October plants put on their best dresses before they head off to sleep through the winter. If I were any kind of seamstressly inclined, I would attempt to make myself a dress out of fall leaves. Really, it would be better than any Oscar gown. How could it not. Of course I would have to shellac the leaves cuz sitting might be a problem, or bending, cuz they would be all crackly and break. But who cares. Then they would be brightly colored and shiny shellacked leaves. I would make the best dressed list for sure.

It is my fervent wish that one day I will get to drive the roads of New England in the fall and look at the beautiful leaves. What a wonderful thing for an area to be known for. Yes, we have gorgeous leaves. I am so jealous. Just imagine cruising along a deserted back road highway that is nothing but a riot of color as far as the eye can see. Maybe along the way there will be a cider stand and they will be offering cider donuts or candied apples to go with it. Perhaps there will be salted caramels and popcorn balls. Man, I think I should just move to New England and start my own leaf tour business. Imagine having that job. Would you ever get tired of it. Introducing new people to the wonder of the fall beauty around you. I don't think so. I haven't gotten tired of sharing my love of fall leaves with anyone yet and I am at least a quarter of a century old.

October really is breathtaking if you just stop a minute and look. My challenge for today is to go out and find something that represents fall beauty to you. Take a picture. Share it or don't, but just take the time to stop and appreciate.

No comments:

Post a Comment