Sunday, October 21, 2012

Foggy Hodgepodge: OT Day 21

Ok, I'm about ready to burst into tears. How are there only ten days left of this wonderful month? Has November been siphoning off hours and minutes? I still have a pile of October books to read. I have a basketful of October movies to watch. I haven't carved my pumpkin yet, and I haven't made it over to the corn maze. Ten days seems like an awfully small amount of time to fit all this in. But I accept the challenge.
Today was a very Octobery day. I had not one, but two pumpkin spice lattes. I almost mugged a little girl to get an orange and black stuffed stock monkey skeleton (don't worry, the store had more so she got to her car unscathed). I read a book about zombies, I made two apple pies, a spiced apple topping for cheesecake and some applesauce. I also made deviled eggs and used way more than the necessary amount of pumpkin spice body scrub while in the shower. Indeed, it was a very Octobery day. Plus, the weather was dark and spooky. It was dark and spooky last night, but I didn't get to properly appreciate it.

Tonight however. After my apple baking fest, I wrapped myself in a blanket and sat outside. The air was chilly (yes, I have finally turned my air conditioner off) and the sky was so overcast that nary a star was to be seen. It was a truly inky night. The moon however was shrouded in gauzy dark clouds and it looked quite hazy. Like if you blew on it a little it might disperse and dissolve into the sky. Very spooky. Very October.

But the best part is my neighbors lights. On a good day in a non spooky month, these lights give me the creeps. Which is weird, because normally lights mean safety and warmth and good things. But these lights. They creep me out man. My neighbors turn them on with no real rhyme or reason. I'm sure they have one, but I haven't cracked their code just yet. The lights are on two decorative poles and they look like the headlights of a car. Which is off putting because the way they are situated, they point right at my house. So as you go by a window you suddenly see what looks like a car pointed right at you. But the car never moves. It’s like living next door to Christine (horror movie reference, look it up).

Tonight, there is a bit of haze around the lights that really gives it a sinister glow. I know it is just my imagination but it is really spooky. That said, the days have been getting spookier lately. The nights are a little darker. The days a little overcast. Dogs bark at night more for no seeming reason. Sounds can be heard outside that quiet the crickets. I love this time of year. But you know what would make it even better.....fog.

Yup, I have had enough of waiting. Usually in October by this time I have had fog at least two if not more times. The mornings are the best times to find it, but it has also been known to lurk around the twilight hours. I love fog. It sets my already overactive imagination into hyper drive. I love the way it creeps across the ground and up from the river. I love how it eats sound and light like a living thing. I love how thick it looks but how insubstantial it really is. Playing in the fog is the best game for a lazy afternoon. What makes it even better is if you play in it whilst in a corn maze at dusk. We are talking serious fun then.

If I got to create my own October town and its inhabitants, I would make pet fog. It would be awesome to have this cloud like thing following me around. But it wouldn't be traditional fog at all. Sure it could ooze and glide. But if I needed a chair to sit on, the fog could morph into a foggy sitting structure and hold me up. Or if I needed an umbrella. Bam! Fog to the rescue. It would be able to squeeze through key holes and would sleep in an empty fish aquarium at night. I think I'd call it Pete. Oooh, and I just had another idea. My pet fog could also turn into a cape. I could wear it with my leaf dress. Man, I wish that could happen right now.

Until I get my pet fog, I will just have to settle for the fog maker that mom got me two Octobers ago. Well, it isn't a fog machine really, it is a bubble machine that spits out bubbles with fog in them. It is the coolest thing. When we saw it in the store we both stood under the display for something like seven minutes just popping the bubbles and watching the fog swirl. It is the closest thing you will ever come to actually being in an Alien movie. While the fog is in the bubble it looks like an angry bee. It swirls and twirls and races all across the inside of the bubble. Once free it spreads out like it has been shot out of a cannon. Whoever thought of such an neat invention should be given a medal. Or at least their own national holiday. Hey, if bosses get a day, then people who invent bubble fog should get one too. It's only fair. Them and the people who make monster cereal. I just love how creative people get in October.

So this is me, doing my online fog dance and petitioning October to send me some. Some little girls dream of sugar plums at Christmas. This little girl dreams of fog in October. If the weather doesn't cooperate I might just enlist some of you to come over here and set up some fake fog for me. I promise to keep you well fed with my stockpile of monster cereal and pumpkin nog. So keep your eyes peeled everyone, and if you see some fog, send it my way won't you.

No comments:

Post a Comment