Tuesday, October 11, 2016

October Thought Day 12: Rock the Vote

There is an important date drawing ever near. It will be upon us before we know it. Sides have been taken. Lines have been drawn. Heated words have been spoken. The candidates will do almost anything to get your vote. The final tally may very well impact the world. Yes, I’m talking about the General Mills Monster Cereal Election. Wait, what did you think I meant?

With all the mudslinging, scandal and general craziness going on lately in the actual campaigns I thought a light-hearted break from the insanity that is this year’s election cycle was in order. I don’t remember how I found it, I think it was Twitter, but this year, General Mills has capitalized on election fever and asked which monster cereal should be deemed America’s best. There is a website set up and there are platforms and dossiers on each of the three candidates.

You get to vote every day until the 31st of October, but just like in actual politics I think the system is rigged. You see, I have commandeered my family’s email accounts and voted every day multiple times, yet still, the poll numbers stay the same. I find it hard to believe that my constant ballot box stuffing isn’t making a dent or even a small indentation in the process. What’s a girl gotta do?

The three contenders for the monster crown are Boo Berry, Count Chocula and of course my personal favorite Franken Berry. I have rubbed my Franken Berry doll for good luck, worn my Franken Berry pin, and though about going door to door in my Franken Berry costume to spread the good word. But Franky still remains steadfastly in third. The site even has a handy guide of the country so you can see which state is voting for which monster. So far the only state showing Franky any love is Montana. You go Montanan’s? Montanites? Montaooners? Montantonians? Anyway, stupid Count Chocula is in the lead with 41% of the vote. It is my least favorite of the cereals. It tastes like chalk. Boo Berry has 30% and Franky has 29%, always and forever 29%. Sigh. It also doesn’t help that Franky is doing the Nixon “I’m not a crook” pose on his cereal box. I think there is subliminal sabotage going on. Just saying.

So if you want to get in on the fun go to generalmills.promo.eprize.com and vote up a storm. Unless of course you are a Count Chocola supporter in which case, hey, look over there (grabs your computer and runs very quickly away).

On the serious side though, if you haven’t registered to actually vote in the real country elections, go to this legitimate site to do so while there is still time. https://www.usa.gov/register-to-vote. Your vote really does matter and this year more so than most.

No comments:

Post a Comment