Saturday, October 29, 2016

October Thought Day 30: A Sincere Pumpkin Patch Anniversary

This year marks the 50th anniversary of “It’s the Great Pumpkin Charlie Brown.” I don’t remember when I first saw it, but from then on it has pretty much been a pre-Halloween viewing staple. According to the official website, it is “the third special based on Charles Schulz’s Peanuts comic strip—and second holiday-themed special after A Charlie Brown Christmas.”

No matter what special it is, I have always identified with Linus. I too carried my blankie around for years and I like to think I have the same childish enthusiasm and zest for life that he does. Linus isn’t going to let anyone sway him no matter what they think or say. He is a problem solver and we both have rolled pumpkins along because they are too heavy to move otherwise. I love his tender heart especially when he equates carving a pumpkin with gourd murder. Side note: I like how in cartoons, TV shows or movies pumpkin carving takes about three minutes tops if that and it always looks perfect. I think I need to hire their art departments. Unlike Linus however, my favorite part of the carving process is scooping out the guts.

Whenever I watch this special, the costumes always get me thinking. I know there is a long held adage that if you can’t find a costume you just cut some holes in your sheets and go as a ghost. In all my years I have never seen anyone dressed up like a ghost, nor have I seen anyone in cut up sheets. Where did this idea come from? At some point someone had to do it, or else it is another of those urban myths.

Like Linus I too have jumped into a pile of leaves for fun. However, what they don’t tell you is that it hurts and it is not as fun as it looks. Leaves have no padding what so ever which means that you hit the ground hard if you take a mighty leap. It looks fun in the movies, not so much in real life. I’m lucky I didn’t break an arm or a leg.

Every time I watch the show I am reminded that I want to try Snoopy’s leaf blowing technique. While Charlie Brown is raking leaves, one falls off a tree and drifts down toward Snoopy, who then blows on it to keep it aloft until it gets to the leaf pile. When I tried all I got for my troubles was short of breath. Gravity kept fighting me and the leaves didn’t want to float like on TV, yet another harsh reality.

I love that Linus writes to the Great Pumpkin like some write letters to Santa. Actually I just like the fact that Linus writes, I think it is a lost art form. I don’t care that it is an old show and not reflective of the times now. Maybe it will revive something. I wish I had though up the idea of writing to the Great Pumpkin, and speaking of, what a great character. I love that he comes from the pumpkin patch. Whenever I visit one I peer closely under the vines and around the pumpkins to see if I can find the entrance hatch to his workshop. It always makes me wonder what the Great Pumpkin looks like. Is he a pumpkin with arms and legs, or a composite man made up of many pumpkins? Is he tall or short? Does he have a round belly (he must, if he is pumpkin shaped) or is he orange like an Oompa Loompa? Or is he more like Santa, but orange and black instead of red and white? Does he live underground like Batman or is that simply where his workshop is located? So many questions, maybe that will be an October Thought for next year, fleshing out the character of the Great Pumpkin.

I love that Linus has his own brand of magic and that he can use his blankie like a whip. He’s a pint sized Indiana Jones. I also love how he finishes his letter to the Great Pumpkin, “PS, if you really are a fake, don’t tell me. I really don’t want to know.” I couldn’t agree more. It is fun to pretend.

I love that the show brings up the idea of Pumpkin Carols, yet another thing for me to try and find. It seems I will have some holiday homework. And since I am in a questioning frame of mind, what does a sincere pumpkin patch look like? I’ve always wondered and I still don’t know the answer. Also, I have never gotten a rock as a trick or treat favor and neither has anyone I’ve asked. Is that really a thing? Is that a trick that is actually played? Or is it like the ghost sheets, something people generally say happens but doesn’t actually?

For a holiday cartoon it is kind of a downer. The ending is bad and the depiction of kids is truthful but cruel. Kids can be mean, especially when you march to the beat of your own drum like Linus does. He gets ridiculed for his belief in the Great Pumpkin by friends and family alike. I respect him for sticking to his guns and it makes me like him all the more. He passes up trick or treating and a Halloween party to validate his beliefs. What a guy.

Every year I hope against hope that this will be the time that the Great Pumpkin rises for Linus from the pumpkin patch, and every year both he and I are let down, but he never gives up. He falls asleep in the patch waiting so strong is his resolve. I think it is sweet that in the end his cynical sister goes out to get him and leads him back home to bed. She may think he is a twit and she may disagree with him, but he is family and she still loves him.

There is a lot to mine from such a seemingly simple cartoon, which is probably why I like it. Ok, I like it because it has Linus in it and a Halloween connection, but the fact that it is more than surface deep doesn’t hurt either. So, with one day left before the big celebration, go out and find your sincere pumpkin patch and let me know if you get to meet the Great Pumpkin!

No comments:

Post a Comment