Thursday, October 8, 2015

October Thought Day 8: October Surprises

One of my favorite things about October is the surprises. I never know quite what to expect, but something wonderful always happens. Maybe it is something unexpected in the mail. Sometimes it is an impromptu adventure. The point is, October is full of wonderful things and this year is no exception.

I had it all planned out yesterday. I was going to write another installment of the corn maze story and that was going to be that. But then an October surprise came along and wonderfully changed my plans. So, the October Thought for today is all about my parents which may be another October Thought first.

My parents really get me. While that might seem like an odd statement to make, not all parents and children are close. Not all see eye to eye and not all have the relationship that I have with mine. I have never once felt crazy for liking an entire month the way I do. I don't feel belittled being an adult and still going nuts over Halloween. Not only do my parents support this crazy mania, they actively participate and encourage it.

When I went to visit my dad a few weeks ago he gamely went to craft and candle stores with me picking out October décor. He carried bags, made deals and found some swag that I had missed. He was even going to go to a Halloween town with me and fully participate. He never once rolled his eyes at me when I bought yet another decoration or thing with a pumpkin on it. He even bought a few himself. But I digress.

Before leaving, dad had me load a box in my car to take home. He said that it was something to open later as he had packed it pretty tight and didn't want to undo it. That sounded sensible and I agreed. Once I got home and unloaded, the box went right out of my mind until this week. On Monday when we talked he reminded me about the box and said that I could open it. I was sleepy so I went to bed instead and promptly forgot about it, again. On Tuesday when we talked he asked if I had opened the box yet and I told him no, but that I would do it when we hung up. Once again I forgot and it wasn't until will talked on Wednesday night when he asked if I had opened it that I remembered. I couldn't believe that I had forgotten again and I said I would open it right then and there while he was on the phone so this wouldn't keep happening.

So I opened the box and the contents almost made me drop the phone. Inside was a beautiful, six piece Halloween train set from my favorite company. You see, there is a pharmacy near where my dad lives and they have a Halloween village set up under a dark canopy with twinkle lights. I drag him there to look at the model every time I visit, and on one of my last trips he went back after I left and bought the train set for me because he knew how much I liked it.

I was speechless. Ok, that's not true. I made lots of excited noises, hopped around, gave him a play by play as I opened each piece and thanked him profusely. It really is a marvelous train set and while I could go into nauseating detail about it, I will spare you and say that if you really want to know what it looks like, Google Department 56 Halloween train. Thus far I have spent two hours just looking at it, setting it up, playing with the lights and taking pictures which don't do it justice. I can't get enough.

But not to be outdone, my mother also had a surprise for me. She had found a Halloween sign in a craft store and presented me with it the day prior. It is a 9x6 sign that is mostly white with orange triangles and black chevrons around the perimeter. In spooky black script it reads "Queen of Halloween. Do it my way or I'll push you off my broom." I loved it instantly. I have a fancy scrollwork crow that I put on top of it and a boney pumpkin I sat next to it. It is the perfect adornment for my desk and it makes me chuckle.

You see, my parents get me. What a wonderful October gift.

No comments:

Post a Comment