Friday, October 23, 2015

October Thoughts Day 23: Pick Your Pretty

I was trolling through various blog posts this morning when I came across one that had this blurb, find six beautiful things today and post something about them. For some reason I got so excited. Find six things about today that I like, how about sixteen or sixty! But for the sake of your sanity, I will keep it to six.

1) The way the sun backlit the leaves today making them look like molten gold. I love, love, love fall trees, but this was just amazing. I really think that had I stopped the car and gone over to those leaves, they would have felt like solid gold bars in my hand. I'll bet it was true. Man, a missed opportunity. That'll teach me.

2) Yet another miracle of nature. There is a bush in my neighborhood that every time this year turns an amazing shade of red. It is a red so incredible and vibrant that I can't even begin to describe it, but I'll try. It is a bright red with dark hints. Like the golden leaves it sparkles in the sun and it actually looks like it is alive. Yes, I know plants already are alive, but I swear this one could talk if it wanted too. I think it really is a part of a phoenix's tail that has come loose and taken root here.

3) My Jurassic World lunch box. How is that a thing of beauty I hear you asking. To you I say, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. It is a marvelous lunch box that I will be taking to work with me the first chance I get. It has a raised pattern on the front and back and I have spent more time than I care to admit running my fingers up and down the boney spine of the front dino skeleton. But the back is what has my heart. It has the four raptors of the movie in raised relief and they look fierce. To me it is a work of art, a true beauty.

4) My mom's smile. For a while there she lost it. It doesn't come as easily as it used to. But today there it was, hiding in the midst of some clothes and a bee sting, but it was there and it was as if the heavens themselves opened up and smiled down on me.

5) The lady singing behind me at the stop light. Usually I am the one serenading people, but all my stations were on break so I had the radio turned down. I glanced in the mirror and there she was, bopping, grooving and belting it out. I have no idea what song she was singing but she was clearly enjoying herself and that made me happy. I love it when other people can find their joy.

6) The haze around the moon this evening. It looked like the moon had a while gauzy bathrobe on and was primping for her evening debut. It stayed that way for quite a while and I was content to just lie back in my hammock and watch. Nothing beats October nights.

Ahhh, what a day, what a glorious day. 

So, some of my beautiful things had something to do with October directly, some only because they happened during this month. But that is what October is all about. There are no rules. No hard and fast dos and don'ts. And unlike Vegas, what happens in October has the capability to branch out into other months and spread the joy.

Now you know my beautiful things, what are yours?

No comments:

Post a Comment