Thursday, October 22, 2015

October Thoughts Day 22: Sweet Memories

Have you ever been walking and stumbled upon a scent lingering in the air that made you stop in your tracks? A scent that caught you by complete surprise and triggered a memory or made you smile? That happened to me today. It was completely random. There was no way this particular smell should have been lingering, but it was, and sniffing it took me right back to my childhood.

I can't accurately describe the smell. It was a pleasant is about as close as I can come. It smelled like the candy my grandfather used to buy at the corner store when we went for walks. Since I know that much I should be able to describe if it had more caramel overtones or a chocolaty vibe, but the best that I can say is that I smelled a memory.

The minute my nose came into contact with that phantom scent I was instantly transported back to that corner grocery store with my grandfather. The particular goodies he liked came in bins and he would fill up a small plastic sack with a mixture and then we would walk home. Sometimes he even let me pick what went in the sack. There were chewy things like taffy but not. Candied orange wedges, spice drops, butterscotches, cinnamon bears and other hard candies. Hands down, the candies that went into that sack were the best candies I have ever eaten. Maybe it was because we walked a couple miles to get them. Maybe it was because of the company I was in, or the fact that my taste buds were younger. Either way, I have never been able to find those same candies since.

Sure, there are the modern day equivalents, but they just don't taste the same. They can still be found in bins and they may even be from the same company as when I first tried them, but they just don't taste right. That doesn't stop me from buying some whenever I come across them. Who knows, maybe this time I will find the magic one that tastes exactly as I remember.

That smell and those memories got me thinking about candy. On the radio last week the DJ took a poll of what were listeners favorite Halloween candies. Then at the retreat I went to, we had almost the same question. We had to pick from a list of four, which was our favorite Halloween candy. I was just as stumped then as I was the first time I heard the question.

I don't think I actually had or have a favorite. Ok, that isn't true, it will always be candy corn, but you really can't compare that to other Halloween candies, it's like the king high supreme ruler overlord of candies so for arguments sake we will leave it out of the equation.

I can keenly remember what I didn't like to get in my trick or treat bag. I wasn't fond of the houses that gave out health food. That's the equivalent of getting socks and underwear for Christmas. Sure, you may need them, sure, health food may be, you know, good for you, but you don't hand it out on holidays. That's like the dentists who give out toothbrushes. Major buzz kill. I also wasn't overly fond of popcorn balls. I like them more to play with than eat. They are just too messy.

I remember when I was done trick or treating, I would come home and put all my loot out on the floor. If it wasn't wrapped it went in the trash. If it was waxy like those lips or some of the really hideous caramels they also went in the trash. I sorted my candy by type, chocolate, fruity, gum, licorice, suckers, stuff I don't want and other. Once my piles were sorted I called my parents in and they took their cut of the loot. It worked out well. Most of the time my parents loved the things that I couldn't stand and I would happily hand them over. But when it came to the good stuff, I would haggle a bit.

If I had to narrow it down, I would say that my favorite Halloween candies would be the peanut butter cups and tootsie rolls. Wow. It is kind of sad that I can't remember what candy I liked as a kid. I know I had definite favorites, but tastes change and memories fade. I hated Almond Joys when I was little and now I love them. I also liked pixie sticks and now I can feel my teeth rotting just looking at them. If someone had given me a package of Red Vines back then I probably would have asked if they could adopt me. Twizzlers not so much. Cheap fruity knock offs.

Isn't it interesting what we remember. I have a fuzzy recollection that I liked the candy bars. I think probably Snickers and Hershey. Dad got the Mr. Goodbars and no one wanted the Krackle unless the candy supply was dwindling and it was the only chocolate left.

So now that I have put some semi serious thought into it, what was your favorite childhood candy? Or if you are having trouble remembering like me, what is your favorite candy now? And if you say chocolate you had better be more specific.

No comments:

Post a Comment