Monday, October 26, 2015

October Thoughts Day 26: October Storms


I've finally done it. I've managed to turn my October calm into the frenzied crush that is Christmas. Instead of simply basking in the day I spent a large portion of it fretting. I looked at the piles of October movies I still had to watch. I poured over the mountains of October books I still wanted to read. There is so much left undone and I was trying to pile it all in. But then the rains came.
I have been wanting an October storm all month long. I w...as even dreaming about it this afternoon. One of my favorite childhood memories of October was sitting at my bedroom window staring out at the dark night and listening to the rain pelt against the glass. The water made trails down the pane and in the morning I just knew that the leaves would be all shiny and glistening from the evening deluge. It was October magic at its finest.

At first I didn't even hear the storm that was happening in present day. I had one of my October movies playing out of obligation rather than enjoyment and the sound drowned out the rain. The movie finished and I was about to pop another in when I heard it. I closed my eyes and listened for the beat of the tiny drops against the side of the house. The steady staccato stilled my frantic nerves and like they sing in Frozen, I just let it go.

I always say that one of my favorite parts about October is that it doesn't pile on the stress. You don't actually have to do anything except for have fun. I finally remembered that tonight. So, while I still have some plans for my remaining week of the best month ever, I no longer have a strict agenda. I am going to go with the flow. Maybe this year I don't watch my films. Perhaps those books will just have to wait till next year, or a different month. So what if I don't bake all 112 autumn recipes or go to a Halloween party. I might not even carve a pumpkin....gasp.

For now, I am simply content to go sit by the window with my cup of cocoa and listen to the rain beat its tiny fists. Thank you October storm for reminding me to take it easy. Thank you for getting my attention and for washing away the hustle and bustle I had created for myself. Thank you for resetting my joy. I can't wait to see what tomorrow brings.

No comments:

Post a Comment