Tuesday, October 20, 2015

October Thoughts Day 20: Scary in a Different Way

Oh my, this is scary, there are only 10 days left in the bestest month ever. I know I say it every year, but, how did that happen? It seems like we just started this wonderful month. Sigh. Oh well, that just means that I need to up my October fun quotient.

The month of October simply crackles with possibility. There are things to explore, see, taste and touch. It is a symphony of delights. At least to me. But what really rustles my leaves are October nights. They can be spooky, cozy, contemplative, full of fun, magical, mystical and just about everything else in between. Truth be told, I am a night owl anyway, but October nights are really my favorite.

There is a bite to the air. A crispness that is so very welcome after the hot and punishing days of summer. The coolness is perfect for campfires and blankets. And campfires of course lead to smores and ghost stories. Anything could be lurking out there in the dark just past the firelight. October nights are the perfect time to let ones imagine run away with them.

On these chilly nights I like to go a walking. When the world is fast asleep, I find myself roaming the hills with the creatures of the night. I pass corrals where horses nicker in their sleep. I tiptoe past cows who are plotting devious cow revenge while they slumber. I listen for the far off bark of a dog and wonder if I will stumble upon the wolf man.

I like to look at the stars and search for bats and owls. I watch for black cats and see if I can spot candy corn elves at play. October nights are ripe for imagination and flights of fancy. Elie Wiesel says it best though. "Night is purer than day; it is better for thinking and loving and dreaming. At night everything is more intense, more true. The echo of words that have been spoken during the day takes on a new and deeper meaning."

So go out, howl at the moon and let the Octoberness of it all soak in.

No comments:

Post a Comment