Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Day 15: Delight

I know I am more than a bit biased, but I feel that there is an overabundance of beauty and wonder in October that you just don't find in other months. An embarrassment of riches that only the discerning may find. Don't believe me, let me prove my point.
Tuesday mornings I go early to church for a prayer time. It is my favorite day of the week and it energizes me like nothing else. Sunday I had decided that after prayer on Tuesday I was going to take a drive to the not at all local Starbucks to get a Pumpkin Spice Latte. What better way to celebrate my favorite day. So, prayer finished and at the crack of dawn, literally, I set off on my adventure.

I drove Eastward into the brand new day. Dawn was slowly awakening and trying to peek out from underneath its blankets. It was so enjoyable to drive along the dark highway. The whole way to my destination there was not a single car behind me. Plenty in front and plenty going the opposite direction, but I had the whole rest of the road to myself. I took my time, I was in no hurry and just drank in the sights.

There was a mist lifting off the mountains in the distance. A fine haze that looked like craft store batting. The dawn finally broke in a riot of color. The deep blues and violets gave way to pinks, oranges and yellows. When I finally pulled into the parking lot, everything was suffused with this soft golden glow. That glow found its way into me and I just felt lit from the inside by this warm and wonderful light.

I leisurely ordered my coffee and a treat for mom for later. I got to watch as busy commuters drove past the order window in a hurry on their way to wherever. I had time to watch the early morning patrons as they sat hunched over their laptops or books. I exchanged smiles with a few who weren't too hurried already by the day.

Coffee in hand it was time to meander back home. Heading westward the sun was to my back and the soft golden glow had been turned up quite a few degrees. Now it was brilliant liquid gold that flooded my whole line of sight. The glow shown through the trees and backlit barns and farmsteads. I chose to take the back road home instead of the highway so I could have a more leisurely drive.

By now, stores were opening, busses were passing me on their way to school and farm life was stirring. I drove by fields with farmhands patiently walking the rows. I passed by a lazy train pulling engines home to the rail yard. I glimpsed a farm stand beginning to set up for the new day. I saw the last of the morning mist snaking along roadside creak beds and I passed a lonely cemetery where the morning rays of sunshine shone on individual tombstones like they were in a variety act showcase.

On my lazy ride I found a sign for an upcoming local bazaar along with a new place to purchase pumpkins. I finished my latte just as I was pulling into the driveway. It was a fine way to spend two hours and begin my day. Maybe I see the wonder of it all more in October because I am looking for it. Maybe it is there all along and I am to busy to notice. Whatever it is, I am blessed to live in such beautiful country. I am blessed to have the time to enjoy it. I am privileged to have been allowed to experience such wonder. I hope and pray that you can find some of that same wonder wherever you are. Good morning!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment