Monday, October 7, 2013

Day 7: October Bounty

I know that I have said it before, but October is magical. The best things really do seem to happen during this month, and they happen with amazing frequency. I'm sure skeptics will say that I am simply looking for good and surprise, surprise, I find it. But I think it is more than that. I don't believe in coincidence. October really is this wonderful. You don't believe me, then observe a typical day. There was so much wonderful in the day that I am about ready to burst.

1. We took our church picture yesterday. Everyone gathered in a tight group outside and we stood in the beautiful sunshine and smiled like a bunch of crazy fools. It was GREAT! I don't care if you hate having your picture taken. I don't care if you don't like getting up early on a Sunday morning. To have such a massive group of people all fancied up and grouped together laughing and joking was wonderful. There wasn't a frowny face in the bunch and no one really cared that the sun was in our eyes the whole time. It will make for a great memory.

2. I got to finally hug a bunch a people that I have been missing and who have been on my mind. I didn't know they were going to be there. I didn't know that they were going to come into my path. Everything just fell together and I got to share some of my joy with them.

3. I have been saving up for a snazzy jacket and today I finally had enough to get it. I walked into the store and they only had one left. It was the one in my size and it looked great (ok, it makes me look like a hipster biker, but who cares). When I went to check out, a random lady gave me a $20 off coupon.

4. While out and about running errands, my wonderful, fabulous, green thumb extraordinaire neighbor texted me that she had extra pumpkins and whatnot for me to come peruse. It was the perfect day for pumpkin perusal. I mean, you couldn't have ordered a more perfect day. I got to spend at least an hour, if not more, roaming over the hillside, through vines, and across the planting bed in search of perfect, natural October décor. She had Alice in Wonderland sized sunflowers towering high above our heads. The pumpkin patch had taken steroids and overgrown the banks. There were white pumpkins, warty pumpkins, orange pumpkins, green pumpkins, purple corn, orange corn, speckled corn, yellow corn. I was in heaven. I got to feed a skittish cow, toss gourds at chickens (no chickens were harmed in the tossing of said gourds) snuggle an October colored kitten, snuggle its momma and take pictures of bees. I even found a lady bug. It was better than any pumpkin patch and I am truly spoiled to have such a wonderful neighbor.

5. While eating dinner I happened to glance outside at the valley below. There, slowly creeping its way along the riverbanks was a massive fog bank. The sun was just beginning to set and there was a long snake of fog just winding its way across the hills. It was magnificent. I went outside and watched it for at least a half an hour. It expanded and flowed like a living thing. The mists began to branch out and slowly climb the hillsides. Watching the fog was better than watching any TV show...........except...........

6. Tonight was the first of the Halloween episodes for some of my TV shows. It was so good. It was full of everything I love about holiday theme episodes. The characters house was super decorated. The actors had fabulous costumes AND I have been turned on to a new hobby, Halloween caroling! Why on earth didn't I think of that sooner?!

So you see, it really isn't just my imagination, October really spoils me with the wonderful. The only thing missing in this perfect month so far is the fact that I still have not found soy nog yet, but I still have 25 days, so I'm not really worried. Bring on the wonderful October. I can take it!

No comments:

Post a Comment