Sunday, October 13, 2013

Day 13: I Eat Monsters for Breakfast

If you haven't figured it out by now, I get a little obsessive when it comes to October. I turn into a raging GIMME monster who wants all the decorations, drinks, pumpkins, periodicals, and October wonderfulness for herself. Well, I am willing to share, but me first, me first! As I was mulling over what to write for day thirteen, the thought literally came to me in my dreams.

I dreamt about breakfast cereal. And not just any breakfast cereal, October breakfast cereal. Since I was a wee thing, I have not really liked sugary cereals. I was an old soul who much preferred the taste of shredded wheat and cereals with fiber. I didn't see the point of sugary breakfast foods. If I wanted sugar, I'd just go eat some. Though I did like the Rice Krispy cereal, mostly because it made noise, but I am getting off topic.

Anyway, it wasn't until I got much older that I discovered the joys of sugary October cereal. I don't know what made me buy my first box, it probably had something to do with the fact that there was an October theme to it and you know how powerless I am to resist those. The cereals didn't taste half bad, they had monsters on the front and they were for a limited time only. Thus was born my October breakfast cereal tradition.

Every October I would watch the TV for commercials and the aisles for a glimpse of my holiday cereal boxes. I am not ashamed to say that I often enlist the help of others in my search. I just can't properly celebrate the season if I don't have my Franken Berry. The mania has become such a thing that last year I was going to dress up as Franken Berry and had cajoled mom into being Boo Berry. But sadly, the house fire had other plans and the costumes were lost. But no big deal, I still have my Franken Berry doll and my October breakfast cereal pins.

This year I didn't even have to go in search of the sugary treats. My wonderful uncle found them first and sent them to me in a giant package well before October. I have been happily munching ever since. This year, I was tipped off that the General Mills company was going to rerelease all of the monster cereals, even the discontinued ones. My heart did a little flip of joy when I heard that. But alas, I have not seen the proof of that press release yet. I have found Count Chocula, Boo Berry and Franken Berry. But no Yummy Mummy or Frute Brute. They are supposed to have been released at Target in September, but when I ask about them, I get funny looks from the employees like I am speaking Farsi. Ah such is my hard life during October.

But what does this all have to do with my dreams? Well, last night I had a doozy. It involved Oprah (why I'll never know, I don't watch her show, I don't read her magazine), Costco, a minivan and a bunch of people I had never met. For some reason we were going to Costco and it seemed like it was an emergency. Once we got there we all split up to find whatever it was that we were searching for. I was hot on the trail of whatever it was until suddenly I turned a corner and there were the October monster cereals. The mission suddenly went out of my mind. I then became SUPER focused on how to smuggle several boxes of Halloween cereal out of the store. Yes, it seems I had turned into a cereal shoplifter.

So as I was trying to smuggle my ill gotten gains out of a huge side door, Oprah showed up and gave me a talking to. She called security on me (which didn't endear her to me very much) and then i had to run around Costco dropping cereal boxes as I ran trying to evade an irate Oprah and security. From there it was a frantic chase and I woke up to the sound of my alarm going off. I never did get my holiday cereal. So the day has been going downhill ever since I woke up this morning. That said, I did have a nice heaping bowl of Franken Berry just to show my dream and Oprah who was boss. Clearly me. Clearly

So, with 18 days left in my favorite month, I will not give up the monster cereal hunt. I will also call on all of you to keep your eyes peeled. If you happen to be around Target or some other store that has monster cereal, be sure to look for Frute Brute and Yummy Mummy. They will be hanging out next to Count Chocula, Boo Berry and Franken Berry. I will pay you in pumpkin cookies or cash money, whichever you prefer. But like my crazy dream illustrates, I've got to get me some October monster cereal. mmmmmm

No comments:

Post a Comment