Sunday, October 27, 2013

Day: 27 A Bit Barney

Good gracious, the day quite got away from me. There was morning haze, good fellowship later in the day, a surprise of socks and then I found the rest of my surviving Halloween decorations. I spent the rest of the afternoon reacquainting myself with old friends and sprucing the place up. Since I am so tardy, tonight's thought will be a bit brief, but it is such a good topic that it really doesn't need my embroidery to make it shine.

While I was digging through my decoration boxes I came across my books on covered bridges. I know that I just wrote about barns, and covered bridges really are barns that have a hole in them and sit over water. But ooooh, they are so Octobery. They are spooky and quaint at the same time. They look spectacular with a backdrop of fall leaves and in Sleepy Hollow, my favorite October story, they play quite a prominent role.

If I had my druthers, I would get married inside a covered bridge. I would live in a covered bridge if they would let me. It would be a two story covered bridge and I would be the toll taker and bridge keeper. I would be like one of the ogres in the three billy goats gruff, but without being all slimy and green.

Every year I check the historical bridge database in hopes that suddenly one has popped up near me. I know the likelihood is nonexistent, but a girl can dream. Back home there was a fake covered bridge that was in the bottom of a ravine. It was dark down there and the road was twisty. I very seldom had a reason to go in that direction, but that didn't stop me from many Sunday drives and not accidental excursions. Visiting a bunch of New England covered bridges is also on my October bucket list. Oh to spend a day just driving around looking at bridges. I know, I have weird hobbies but I just can't help myself. One drowsy autumn afternoon

No comments:

Post a Comment