Friday, October 4, 2013

Day 4: Cozy & Quiet


Last night I had the best of intentions to sit down and write my October Thought. I was excited, I was ready, and then I got distracted. The night was dark. The wind was howling. It was almost perfect October weather. (perfect would have fog and a full moon) I grabbed my trusty blanket, snuggly dog, some warm socks and went to watch the show. Everyone was asleep so I snuck into the living room and listened as the wind tried its hardest to take the roof off of the house. The eaves creaked and moaned and it was wonderful.
There is nothing like the feeling of being safe, secure and snuggly. One can watch the wind push and pull against nature. Listen as it screams in frustration and all the while be wrapped up in a cozy blanket. It just feels good. After a while I wanted a little more ambience to add to my late night snuggle fest, so I turned on the electric fire. I made a cocoon out of the blanket, curled up on the floor and watched the fake flames dance. It was all so peaceful.
Too peaceful in fact. I woke up quite a few hours later and dawn was peeking over the horizon. The wind was gone, but the fake fire remained. The puppy was curled up in my cocoon with me and all was right with the world. October seems the ideal time to find moments like this. Quiet times to be alone with ones thoughts. I don't know if it is the weather that turns us inward, but introspection seems to happen a lot more in October, at least for me. So that was how I spent my morning, watching the sun come up and enjoying the simple pleasures of an electric fire, warm blanket and a cuddly companion. I love these unexpected October moments!

No comments:

Post a Comment