Thursday, October 17, 2013

Day 17: Monstrous Melody

Ok, so after acknowledging that we have hit the halfway point I am now starting to panic. There are still so many wonderful October things that I have not done yet. I can feel the icy, turkey laden grip of the eleventh month closing around my windpipe. Not yet November, it isn't your turn.

I still have to go to the corn maze and I need to attend Pumpkin Palooza. I haven't watched all my October movies, not even close. I haven't carved my pumpkin yet and I haven't made my official visit to the pumpkin patch. I still haven't unearthed all the October décor from the labyrinth that is our garage, my specially laid aside October books have not yet been read and my orange lights just burnt out. This is not the October magic that I was promised.

On the plus side, I just bought a bag of candy corn today. I found pumpkin spice Hershey kisses and they are DIVINE. I got to watch Toy Story of Terror on TV and it was wonderful and I at least started to decorate some of my pumpkins. So I guess things aren't as dire as I made out. But I do have a grievance. A big one actually. Where is all the October music? Is it some ploy this year not to play anything pertaining to the season? I heard summery Caribbean music today and some radio personalities were talking about Christmas. To add further insult to injury, WalMart  has their Christmas section up. I almost staged a protest. All this moving on to November and December, but NO October music. Sure, my TV show talked about Halloween carols, but that is as far as it has gotten.

There have been no pipe organs playing the Bach Toccata. No Werewolves of London. No Monster Mash. The DJ's haven't even mentioned Rocktober once. It is like October music has ceased to exist. Where is Thriller or Somebody's Watching Me? Ghostbusters or almost any of the Harry Potter theme music. I feel cheated. The closest I have gotten to October music is the cricket choir and some howling neighborhood dogs.

If I don't hear my October music by the end of the week, I am going to start staging a one woman flash mob and do the Thriller dance in the middle of the supermarket. I will karaoke Purple People Eater while in line at the DMV. I may even sing some Sam the Sham in the candy aisle of the drugstore if I have to. Well, maybe not that last one, I might get arrested for being creepy. But you get the point. Where is the musical holiday spirit? I have been playing Peter and the Wolf in my room. But that doesn't count.

This weekend, I use my self bestowed powers as October spokeswoman to proclaim it a two day October musical fest. Dig out those spooky recordings, crank up the volume on the hi-fi and call your local radio station until they block your number. Get those October tunes a playing. Violin, pipe organ, creaking chains, four part harmony, I don't care. I want to hear Monster Mash across the nation! This is October after all, and what better cause for celebration is there!

No comments:

Post a Comment