Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Day 30: Puttin' on the Ritz

I have been procrastinating this October. I haven't read most of my holiday magazines, I haven't carved my main pumpkin. I didn't wear most of my holiday socks and I still have some October movies to watch. I think it is because I want my favorite month to last longer. When you are smack in the middle of January or even November, October seems so far away. But now that it is here and almost done, I just want to stretch the days out. I have already decided to keep my decor up into November. Sorry turkeys and pilgrims, you will just have to deal with a few bats, headless horseman and vampires. You will just have to learn to get along.
Which in a way brings me to my almost final thought, costumes. What other month can you see pilgrims, bats and headless horseman walking down the street and not think it's weird, or that you are having some sort of mental break. And since it is October there isn't just one day that you are allowed to dress up. As I was waiting in a drive thru line last week I saw a family of red devils all gussied up and out for a stroll. It wasn't even Halloween yet, but clearly they had someplace to go. It made me smile. There was a momma devil and a few kid devils and even a baby devil with wings. They had red face paint and sparkly tops. They could have been a singing troupe for all I knew, but it was awesome!

I LOVE dressing up for Halloween. I love picking out my costume. I love the paints and colors, masks and wigs. I love everything about it and the more outrageous and creative the better. I am constantly amazed by peoples creativity. It really gives you insight into a person seeing which costume they choose.

I am particularly jealous of kid costumes. Kids have such an abundance of awesome things to choose from. Not to say that adults don't, but as you get older, at least for ladies, the costumes either border on brothel dweller or unimaginative potato sack. I can't stand it. But it does mean that I get to be more creative.

One of the best things about wearing a costume is traveling in said costume. On numerous occasions I have been driving in costume and had people honk and wave. It is funny to be waiting at a stop light and watch people do a double take. I just smile and wave. I have had people get their pictures taken with me and I have scared small children. A really good costume is a treat, and not just for the wearer.

But around this time of year, one almost always runs into the great costume/weather debate. Especially if you are trick or treating, how do you show off the awesomeness of your costume without either freezing to death or getting soaked? If you are going as Iron Man, you can't wear a coat. It just ruins the effect. When I was little my mother and I went round and round about the great coat debate. We finally reached a compromise. I would wear the coat when I wasn't knocking on a door, but once I was on final approach, I would shed the coat and she would have to hold it. It was quite frustrating but in the end both parties were happy, sort of.

I wish there were more holidays were we were encouraged to dress up. I don't mean in fancy holiday party type clothes either. I think Valentines Day should have some sort of costume component. It might make the day more palatable. And what about Thanksgiving or even President's Day. We totally need to dress up for Presidents day. See, I'm even having fun just thinking about it. I really love this month.

No comments:

Post a Comment