Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Day 9: Lovely, Lovely Leaves

Let me first say, "IT TOOK YOU (mother nature) LONG ENOUGH." Whew, glad I got that out of my system. I have been waiting for October for months. I have been waiting semi patiently for all the delights that come with this fabulous month. I twiddled my thumbs and waited for the corn maze. (I may or may not have constructed a practice maze in the shop to pass the time). I jiggled my legs in restless anticipation waiting for pumpkin spice lattes. I paced and fretted over the remaining time left until fall décor hit the stores. And I overloaded my bookshelves with other tomes trying to distract myself from reading prepurchased October themed books (that sickness is just as bad as my magazine purchasing, but we won't go into that here). But the thing that really drove me nuts, was waiting for the leaves to turn. Here it is 9 days into October and FINALLY I see some progress.

Last year the trees had the good sense to start putting on their show in August. Not this year. This year they made me wait......and wait....and wait some more. It was getting to the point where I was about to go out and start spray painting trees just to see some color. But last night, I noticed it. Overnight the shiny greens had been replaced with gold and crimson. If I hadn't been driving at the time, I would have done a happy little dance right there. As it was I let out WHOOP and shimmied a little in my seat.

I LOVE leaves in the fall. They are spectacular. To be fair, I really love trees, but when they turn, ooooh, it makes my little October loving heart go pitter patter, or rather crinkle crackle. One day I hope to be able to drive around New England while the leaves change. Even better, I hope to be in a horse drawn carriage, sipping cider and looking at the leaves. Wouldn't that be fantastic.
Having completed many, many science courses in my long educational career, I know that the turning of the leaves mean that in reality they are dying. But what a way to go out. I hope to live my life that way. Shiny and green for the majority of my life, then on the way out, a riot of color and vibrancy that all can appreciate.

There is a movie that perfectly describes how I see fall leaves. It is called Pleasantville and in it, the world is all in black and white. There is no color at all. One of the characters happens to be out for a stroll one evening and chances to walk past a tree. As he looks at it, the tree suddenly BURSTS into flame. But it isn't black and white flame, it is flame in color. Seeing that fire, against a black and white world is amazing and that is how I see fall leaves. A brilliant splash of color against the drabness of everyday life.

As one of my October pins says, "I love the leaves. I love the air. I love the rustling sounds everywhere." Even the crinkly noise that the leaves makes is music. Crackly leaves, a cricket choir, a froggy chorus and the hoot of an owl....best. symphony. ever!

Leaves are magical. They must be, because they have so many different uses. They can make forts, art projects, clothing, table décor, regular décor, pressed patterns, and the list goes on. If I ever get married, I want fall leaves scattered instead of rose petals and a leaf bouquet instead of flowers.  Dying leaves hold so much possibility. Their life may be coming to an end, but look at all they still have to offer.

And then there are the leaf piles. Raking leaves is the best job ever, especially if you have a leaf blower. (power tools and October fun, I get thrill giggles just thinking about it) You can rake them up, then frolic in them, then rake them up and repeat to your hearts content. You can make leaf angels in them, or a pillow. Just don't jump into leaf piles from anything higher than your legs can spring you. While they may look bouncy and full of cushioning, they are not. Trust me. I learn these things so you don't have to.

Yes, October leaves thrill me and I am not ashamed to say it. Just another wonderful October gift.

No comments:

Post a Comment