Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Day 8: October Disease

I have this affliction. It only seems to present itself at certain times of the year. I can be walking along, minding my own business, when suddenly, it hits. I am powerless to stop it. I am forced to do its bidding no matter how I feel. What is this malady, you ask? Is it contagious? Will it soon overrun the population like a zombie plague? Never fear gentle readers, I think this sickness is confined only to my person. It is.........no, it is to gruesome to say. But I must. I admit..........I am..............a fall magazine addict. Whew, there, I said it.

It is no joke. It doesn't matter if I hate the publication on principle, if it has the words, fall, autumn, Halloween or October on the cover page, I feel strangely compelled to buy it. Maybe I was hypnotized by a roving October magician. Perhaps I drank one too many pumpkin spice lattes and all the orange flavoring did something to my brain. Whatever the cause, holiday magazines seem to multiply like vampire bunnies around my house in the month of October. Really, there is nothing new under the sun when it comes to fall ideas, but I must buy the product anyway.

By now I must have hundreds of dozens of articles on how to make witch fingers out of breadsticks, how to turn cheesecloth into ghosts or what areas of the US are the best for leaf peeping. The new fall colors are always the same, parents always supply information on how to turn your kid into a cute scarecrow for cheap. But I don't care. I LOVE each and every repeated cheesy idea. And speaking of cheese, did  you know that mini Rondelle cheeses can be carved like pumpkins?  I have about 7 or 8 articles on it if you want more information.

Maybe one day, I will be in one of those magazines contributing some cheesy autumnal craft idea or wacky Halloween recipe. Either way, I know I will be buying multiple copies. I won't be able to help myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment