Monday, October 21, 2013

Day 21: The Decorations

Have you every wanted to live in your decorations? Or have conversations with them? No I am not crazy, it is just my imagination on overdrive. Before the fire my favorite thing was to imagine living in my Halloween village. There were rustic cobbled streets, apple carts, green grocers, a haunted mansion or two, or three. It was the perfect little setting to wander in. Then the great fire happened and my village now lives on only in memory and the written word. But that is ok. It gives me a chance to build a new village. To walk new streets.
Most of my decor is gone, but I have been unearthing some of the survivors out of the moving boxes and wonderful friends and family have been gifting me with new decor.
Just last week I found my trick or treat girl, dressed as a kitty. This past weekend I found a stuffed zombie kitty. My headless horseman came in the mail last week and he lights up. I had no idea. And a wonderful pair of friends gave me a spooky lantern that is perfect for writing under.
My point is, what if these decorations could talk? Would they object to where I have placed them? Would they have grand stories to tell? I could ask the kitty girl what her name is. I could ask why she chose to go as a black cat and if she has gotten any good treats. I would steer clear of the headless horseman for obvious reasons, but I would love to crawl into my lantern to find out exactly what the witch is brewing in the spooky forest all alone. I would ask my zombie kitty how he got that way and give him sardines.
Maybe my decorations are like the toys in Toy Story. They come alive when I am not looking. That sure would explain a few things. I swear my apple bobbing skeleton has switched places a few times and my brown bat keeps showing up on the floor. Wouldn't that be something to see my spider tea light holders romping after dark. Or to hear the rustling sounds of my scarecrows square dancing. What do they talk about the other eleven months of the year as they lie in wait in their boxes? These are things I want to know. One day, one day I shall find out.

No comments:

Post a Comment