Friday, October 16, 2020

Day 16: October Joy

There was something else I had planned on writing today, but then yesterday happened and I had to write about that instead, October joy. I don’t know what it is about October specifically that makes me so happy? I am happier in October than any other month and it isn’t just because of Halloween. I have tried to figure it out and I still come up empty. Am I happier because summer is over and the temperatures are more to my liking?  Possibly.  Am I happier because there is football and I get to decorate after a long dry spell and there are pumpkin spice type things? Maybe. Am I happier because of falling leaves and harvest parties and corn mazes? Again, could be. It is a quantifiable fact though; I am a happier person in October. Some truly awful things have happened to me in October too, but even those do not shake my faith in the month. For 31 days I drift along on a cloud of feel good that is full to bursting. If I was a character in a musical I would break out into song, thankfully I’m not so you will get nothing but written words from me.

Why was yesterday so good that it subverted a normally scheduled thought?  Read on and see. It started when I woke up. I didn’t wake up to the shrill of my alarm; I came awake gradually like a diver coming up from the sea floor. I went from the arms of a dream to cozy wakefulness. My blankets were the perfect temperature. They weren’t too hot and the room wasn’t too cold. I was burrowed in like a cozy critter ready for hibernation and I had half an hour to luxuriate in my own little pocket of warmth. It is one of my very favorite feelings in the world and if I had magical powers I would capture that moment in a bottle or potion so that I could take it out and use it again. It would be really excellent for cold winter days.

I was able to make breakfast leisurely instead of having to eat and dash. There wasn’t a line at my local coffee shop and I had time to make an extra purchase of a fall something that I had had my eye on for a while. Work was full of laughter and sweetness. I got to spread smiles and bring comfort and I had plenty to spare. Long term nagging problems suddenly presented solutions, I got puppy cuddles, and I got to see my mom’s face light up with love. I had unexpected compliments and gifts. It was truly a great day at work.

On the way home the radio played nothing but my favorite songs, so much so that I drove around the block twice singing along. Two packages showed up that weren’t supposed to come for another week, and I had time to be leisurely. I finished a good book while starting another; I had a good laugh at an online sale and may or may not have bought more fall stuff.

The cap though was the sunset. I had my door open admiring my porch decorations and I caught a glimmer of something orange out of the corner of my eye. I looked out the door and the sky was on fire. It was a riot of orange that faded to salmon pink in places. Those vibrant colors gave way to a washed out yellow which was blanketed by a deep blue and then black. I sat there just staring out at the night until 10 o’clock. It was quiet and cozy and wonderful. It wasn’t a perfect day, but there was so much good in it how could I not be joyful?

But that is what October does for me. There are little pockets of joy to be found all over, little unexpected treats that wink at me.  I find my elusive monster cereal around the corner of an aisle when I’m not looking. I get a surprise package in the mail or a text. Problems turn into exciting examples of the goodness of people. It isn’t just this October that I feel blessed, it is all the Octobers. I see beauty more, I feel more creative. I think I am simply more open to the good around me. I need to figure out how to co-opt that for all the other months.

I hope you find October joy today. I hope something wonderful happens for you be it big or small. I hope it brings a smile to your face and a warm wonderful feeling to your heart. I’m cheering for ya!




No comments:

Post a Comment