Sunday, October 18, 2020

Day 18: All Dressed Up in Hopes of Somewhere to Go

Yesterday I got to clean out the activities storage shed at work. It looked like an episode of hoarders crossed with a hurricane. It took me waaaaay many more hours than I am comfortable sharing to get it organized. I am stiff and sore and could do a really good impersonation of an Igor right now with my humped over walk. It’s a good thing Sunday’s are a day of rest. I will be surrounding myself with cozy blankets, scary movies and pumpkin everything.

While I was cleaning out the shed my mind drifted naturally to decorations. I was quite literally surrounded by the stuff. I found some of my missing fall things I had been looking for, and when I had lugged it all back to the building I realized that instead of hardly having any October stuff, I had oodles. Some of it may still get put up before the month is out.

But what really got my October thinking percolating was the box of costumes that I found. We get all dressed up for those we love, or hope to love. We dress to impress, we dress to make ourselves feel better, we dress for work and we dress to be comfortable. Halloween is the bestest holiday ever for playing dress up because for one night of the year we get to let our inner freak flag fly. We can wear whatever we  please, be it a French Maid, the killer from Scream, body paint, or the cute kitty. I love playing dress up (though you would never know it) and Halloween says, ok, go ahead, have fun.

I love the wigs the wands the fake bloody knives and axes. I love the wings and hair dye. It is all just too much fun. I can remember every costume that I have ever worn. I can also remember almost all the places that I have trick or treated at (but that is for another day). I have been a pumpkin (the cutest ever in the history of pumpkins) the Green M n M, Princess Amidala, a clown (oh how I HATED that costume...........still do......I wore it for EVER and a day), a flapper, a demented cheerleader, the Mad Hatter, a cheetah, a flapper and a nun just to name a few.

You would think in my 40 years that I would dress up more, but the problem was and is, I have nowhere to go most of the time and the other half..........well, I am just too picky. I don't want a crappy costume that looks like it came from a bag. I want something different, unusual, or at least well made. I have several costumes in my TO DO file and I keep looking for them to either be discounted or to find the right accessory that I am missing for it. I also have several costumes in the wings just waiting to be worn. I had grand plans for this year’s costume, but Covid has thrown a bit of a monkey and his wrench into my schemes. I have 2 new costumes ready to go but I am not thrilled about either of them. They are fine. They will work well with our precautions and my work environment but they aren’t super fantastic. I keep looking for something that has that wow factor but, maybe I will just have to save it for another year?   

So I might have digressed a bit there, but my point is, costumes are FUN!!! If you feel like it, post back and tell me some of your best costume moments, or some of the worst. The worst was the STUPID, WRETCHED clown costume. The mask suffocated me, it was ugly as sin, the jumper itched and I just plain hated it. I wore it for like 5 years or more. AHHHHHH.
The best was Queen Amidala. I rocked the face paint let me tell you. I actually had kids taking pictures with me.  Let me tell you, I could have gone on some sort of Star Wars tour. So there you have it, costumes in all their glory. I can't wait to hear your stories.



No comments:

Post a Comment