Sunday, October 4, 2020

Day 4: October Goes to the Movies

 My residents are the best. Some would expect people in a nursing home to watch Andy Griffith, the Golden Girls, Gunsmoke or Lawrence Welk, and they do, but mine also like horror films. Before Covid restrictions came into play, every Tuesday night was horror night. Anything was fair game. We watched the downright gory and horror that made us laugh. We rooted for the bad guys, shouted at the “heroes” stupidity and hoped they really did get eaten by the freakishly large crocodile. Sometimes I was a little scared walking to my car in the dark because I just KNEW that something was waiting.

I love watching scary movies. Well, some scary movies. I don’t really like the slashy nasty kind. I don’t like stuff about possession and I refuse to watch Saw. Other than that, if you have a clever premise or a mildly clever premise I am game. Horror films can really be quite intellectual. Truly. I mean some are really pointless drivel, but some, wome scare you for a totally different reason. Think Invasion of the Body Snatchers. The fear of the “other” when your body isn’t your own. How about Stepford Wives or the Day the Earth Stood Still.

Why do we fear these things? Seriously, look into the reason those films were made. Horror is horror because something is scaring us and we might not be able to put our finger on why. Vampires, werewolves and zombies are there because we fear losing control of ourselves. Or if you want to get all eco about it, zombies are a fear of over consumption. Why is Steven King so successful or why did Orson Welles radio broadcast of War of the Worlds cause such a panic? Deep in our lizard brains we have things we fear and if we open up to that we can scare ourselves silly.

My favorite story, Frankenstein is about the cost of man trying to be like God. What will we unleash if we start playing with the very building blocks of life? And you know what; it’s still a scary topic even today.

Scary movies are a way to combat our fears in a safe environment. We KNOW that the monster won’t/can’t reach out and get us. At the end of an hour and a half we will be the final girl, the victor left standing and the mighty monster will be vanquished. I HATE snakes, and yet,  that did not stop me from watching Anaconda or Snakes on a Plane. Sometimes I covered my eyes and swiftly moved my feet up under me, but I laughed and screamed and enjoyed myself.


There is nothing better than watching a horror film with an engaged audience be it in a theater or with another person. The squeals of fright, the nervous laughter, the indrawn breath help draw you in even more. Because of It I won’t go near storm drains. Because of the movie Silver Bullet I have an unreasonable fear of werewolves. Thanks to too many movies to count I have a fear of bathtubs and sink drains along with locker room showers. Due to horror films I know not to say Candyman or Bloody Mary 3 times, though I will say Beetlejuice. Because of Urban Legend I won’t flash my lights at people who don’t have theirs on and I am still morbidly curious to see if my head will explode if I eat pop rocks and drink cola. Because of Psycho I will always check my hotel rooms for peepholes in the wall and I always check behind the shower curtain. Thanks to the Twilight Zone I always check the wings of an airplane for beasties and thanks to Bram Stoker and Ann Rice I have an unreasonable love of vampires.

Horror is such a broad category. Before October my friend messaged me asking “I need your short list of Halloween and Fall movies.” Boy howdy did I jump on that. I had to have some clarification though. What kind of movies are you looking for, that covers a lot of ground. They said, “horror, scary, psychological, thriller, and family.” I did not keep the list short, and I keep adding to it as the days went by. There are so many good options. My To Watch list gets bigger every year. But like Christmas I have certain October films I have to watch. The season isn’t complete without them. I HAVE to see Hocus Pocus, Beetlejuice, the Frighteners, the Addams Family, It’s the Great Pumpkin Charlie Brown, Buffy the Vampire Slayer (the movie), and the cartoon version of the Legend of Sleepy Hollow before the month is out. Sometimes Ghostbusters, Scream (and sometimes it’s spawn) Brotherhood of the Wolf and Wrong Turn make it on there too.  Everything else is fair game and I watch as the mood strikes me. This year I will finally watch the Halloween series. I can’t believe that I have gone all this time without seeing it. No time like the present. After all, Jamie Lee is the original scream queen.

What are your October viewing favorites?



No comments:

Post a Comment