Monday, October 26, 2020

Day 26: Back in the Day

I’ve been feeling rather nostalgic lately. I always tend to in October, but it has been even more so this year. In the last couple of weeks especially I have been reliving the “good old days” in my head. It is probably due to the fact that the radio has an all 80’s and 90’s music block lately. The sounds of my youth have been on heavy rotation on just about every station. I’m beginning to wonder if I have super powers that return everyone to my childhood.

Yesterday was no exception. I had been thinking a lot about old music videos and then one of my friends a new song from one of the old boy bands. I gave it a listen and it was pretty decent, then the next video was the Backstreet Boys Halloween video. I remember waiting for hours till MTV would play that video. It was so cool. Now I can watch I whenever I want, and I did. It is super cheesy, but back in the day it was something else. It is kinda like Thriller, but not as classic. I love the costumes. That is pretty much the only reason I watch it. I wish I could step into that video, or at least be really good friends with the costume designer and makeup artist.

From there is got me thinking about other childhood favorites, which of course, they have also been showing on TV. I recorded on episode of Tales from the Crypt. I was so excited to see it back on. Of course, it wasn’t as good as the original and I think they got someone new to do the Crypt Keepers voice, but it was sure a blast to turn the lights out and settle in for a good old fashioned scare.

Aside from Vincent Price, there is one person who will always embody October for me. If you were a child of the 80's and watched TV, especially sports or late night horror movies, it will be easy to guess this extra special lady. She is a cross between Morticia Addams and Dolly Parton and just rocked my socks when I was little. She is Elvira, Mistress of the Dark.

Back then she shilled beer, campy horror marathons and whatnot, now she sells T-shirts, dolls, costumes and movie collections. She also appears in malls, cruise ships, Playboy mansion parties and drag contests. In addition she offers pumpkin carving tips and holiday menus. She is a very well rounded hostess with the mostess.

Her real name is Cassandra Peterson and if you see her without the Elvira make-up you can hardly believe that it is her. She looks good either way. She has also written a children's book about a naughty dog, called "Bad Dog, Andy." But that is not all that Cassandra/Elvira has done. Elvira was the first to have a nationally syndicated horror host show. She was the first person to be broadcast in 3-D in America, and she was the first female celeb to do a national beer campaign.

Alas, the mistress is getting on in years and in true campy fashion there is a soon to be reality show The Search for the Next Elvira. If I could lose a pound or forty here and there and were to dye my hair black I think I could pull it off. Oh yeah, I would also have to get taller, but a girl can dream.

 Ahhh, Halloween...............there's nothing quite like it. And if you feel like a bit of a song, head on over to YouTube and watch the Backstreet Boys groove to Everybody. 




No comments:

Post a Comment