Thursday, October 29, 2020

Day 29: Talkin' About Corn & Architecture

I have had a fascination with corn fields since I was little. I grew up in a city but lived out in the suburbs, kinda. Well, I lived in the suburbs but really it was more like the forest. It is hard to explain. Anyway, I think that the idea of wide open pastoral settings or farmland appealed to me in a quaint Norman Rockwell type fashion. I didn't want the reality of farmland per say, the smell of pigs, early morning chores or cow pies, but I did want to live near a barnyard like the one in Charlotte's Web and have animals talk to me. If you haven't caught on by now, I tend to take ordinary life and add a dash of Rebecca to it. So in my mind of course corn fields possess magical properties. This notion was later proven correct by the movie Field of Dreams. I mean come on. You build a baseball diamond in the middle of a corn field and ex living baseball greats come to play in it. See, corn is magical. And if that doesn't convince you, corn fields also provide people with the very best of foods, corn on the cob. I mean, what isn't to love. You have fields that you can play in that produce ears of corn that you can eat. Perfection if you ask me. Not to mention the fact that anything could be in a corn field. There could be a passage to another world, a dragon, a maze with an incredible treasure, a new friend, a mythical creature, really the possibilities are endless.

Being from the city and not actually seeing corn fields as I grew up, Hollywood kind of ruined my first experience with them. In movies or on TV (yes, I know they aren't real) corn fields are excellent places to escape from all manner of things that are pursuing one. They are also very neatly spaced and uniform. Fast forward to me moving to farm country. My first glimpse of a corn field taught me that there is no such thing as a uniform corn field. Sure, they are all planted in orderly rows and the deeper you go the more uniform they are, but the stalks on the ends tend to be runty and a bit mangy. So either the Hollywood corn is fake (possible), they pick out the runty bits and cover them up (probable) or they digitally enhance the corn (likely). It burst my bubble a bit, but I recovered quickly. Second, there is no possible way one can run in a corn field. Ok, you can run, but you are more likely to trip and break an ankle, rather than evade a pursuer. Corn is planted very close together. Even if you stay in a row and run, it is narrow and deep and you get smacked in the face by very solid corn stalks quite a lot. Or so I've heard (cough cough) So again, Hollywood corn must be planted wider or paved over or something. If those actors really are running through actual corn fields, I feel so sorry for them. But this new knowledge does sort of up the emotional ante when I watch shows now. If a character is being chased by a horrible beastie, law enforcement officer or creepy children and decides to run through a corn field, they must really be desperate indeed.

Now that I have moved to the country, I am blessed to have the opportunity to drive by corn fields all the time. In order to get to work I have to drive by 7 corn fields in one direction and 6 in the other. Poor me. It is the best part of the day. The corn waves at me as I drive by wishing me a good journey. And on the way home, it waves at me again welcoming me back. I know the corn recognizes me. I just know it does. It bends and ripples, beckoning me to pull over and come play inside. And man, the temptation is strong. Basically the only reason that I don't do it is that I don't want to have to explain to a gun totting farmer why exactly I am grinning like an idiot in the middle of his corn field because I think it is magical and there might be a dragon in it or a passage to Narnia. Try explaining that one to the cops and not sounding nuts or drunk or both. Sadly then, I keep my corn field adventures strictly observational (unless I am in a corn maze, but that’s a story for another day). I can literally sit and stare at a corn field for hours. I have done it. It is quite relaxing, at least to me. They can be golden or green fields, it makes not a whit of difference. As long as they are vast and occasionally wave in the breeze. I just sit and stare and day dream. Corn field gazing is right up there with cloud watching in my book. It is quite addictive.

There is this one field, right off of the highway that really has my creative juices flowing. I have decided that I want to build a glass bottomed house right over a corn field. The tops of the stalks could be my carpet. Lower levels of the residence could be sunken down so that the corn itself acted as a wall. What a wonderful idea, sleeping in a corn field. But it might be a bit noisy. All manner of things live in corn fields and move around. Then there is the rustling of the corn itself. It is like butcher paper being rubbed together. But it really is the most delightful sound. I would probably give myself the creeps though with my over active imagination. I would think every crunch and rustle was some sort of hockey mask wearing weirdo coming to get me. But who cares, I would be living in a corn field. It sure beats being the crazy cat lady who sits on her porch with a shotgun. Instead I would be the crazy lady who lives in a corn field. Hey, I am ok with that.

And now I am imagining ordering pizza from my corn field house. "Is this a residence or business?" Well, it is a residence, but I kinda live in a corn field. "Excuse me? Is this some sort of prank call?" No, no. I live in a house in the middle of a corn field. You can't miss it. Well, you might if you get lost in the maze. "Excuse me, did you say maze? I thought you lived in a corn field." Well, I do, but you see, you have to go through the corn maze to get to my front door. It shouldn't be a problem; I will give you directions to the maze. It's really quite simple. At which point they would have hung up on me and I would have to go and get the pizza myself. But how cool would that be? Ok, that's it. I have decided to grow up and become an eccentric millionaire just so I can build a glass house in the middle of a corn field. Not a bad thing for a life ambition. I just won't tell the pizza guy where I live exactly until he or she shows up. ;)



No comments:

Post a Comment