Friday, October 11, 2019

Day 11: Through Linus Colored Glasses


I felt a bit of October melancholy yesterday. I think it was mostly due to the fact that October is zooming by, at least that’s what it feels like to me. My thought process went something like this; oh it is the 10th of October, which means it is almost the 15th, which means October is almost half over. Half over means there are only 16 more days to go, that is only 2 weeks; I don’t even have my decorations finished yet. I’m running out of time….ARGHHHHHHHH. I actually stressed myself out over the imminent end of October which is still 3 weeks away. I mean really Rebecca, chill out.
In the midst of my October freak out, I tried to find something to make myself feel better. My sights landed on my interactive sound book of It's the Great Pumpkin Charlie Brown, and that was all she wrote. I usually watch the show on TV when it rolls around, and if I happen to miss it I pull out my copy for holiday viewing, but this year the book just called to me. I was powerless to resist and opened it up and went on a Halloween journey with Charlie Brown and his pals.

Now of course I like Snoopy, he will always be my favorite. I am kind of partial to his happy dance and the sound he makes when he laughs, plus he has a killer imagination, but my favorite kid is Linus. He is the character that most resembles me. He is a kid and not ashamed to be one. While his friends go out and party he is content to follow his own path and wait for the Great Pumpkin.

I don't know if someone (cough cough his parents) told Linus that there was a Great Pumpkin or if he imagined it. Either way I respect him. If someone told him about GP, then I admire him for sticking to his guns. His friends ridicule him, his own sister calls him names, but he never wavers, even when the Great Pumpkin doesn't show. If he imagined it, then I am in awe of his creativity. I mean, what on earth does a sincere pumpkin patch look like anyway? I have gone round and round about that one for years. I think a sincere pumpkin patch is a bit wild. It might not be in neat rows, it will have a variety of pumpkins and it won't be fenced. Beyond that I couldn't really say. I guess my imagination isn't that great. And how on earth does a really big pumpkin fly, let alone hand out presents? What a creative mind.

I love that Linus is willing to dream big. He has a goal and by golly, nothing is getting in his way. He actively searches out what is the most sincere patch. He writes letters to GP, he misses parties and trick or treating just to catch a glimpse. If Linus were a real boy, I would want him for a friend. I would know that I could count on him. If he said that he was going to do something, then he would do it. I would also hope that some of his youthful innocence would rub off on me. That some of the wonder and magic would find its way into my bloodstream.

I also am a bit in love with the fact that Linus carries his blankie wherever he goes. I did that for years and a man who is confident enough to carry his blue blankie with him, gets my vote. I also love his sweet naiveté. His friends come tromping by on the way to a party and he assumes that they are coming to see him and sing pumpkin carols. I love that in his mind that is the only option. I also love that someone other than me knows that there are such a thing as pumpkin carols.

While the gang goes off to bob for apples and listen to Schroder play the piano, Linus is out in the pumpkin patch having his own fun. He is his own man. He doesn't let anyone's opinion of him get him down. When he is being teased or when things don't go his way, he is positive and looking forward to the next time. My favorite line is "But Linus still wasn't ready to give up." What a guy.

I love that when he thinks the Great Pumpkin is about to appear, Linus does the manly thing and faints. He is so overcome with excitement, anticipation and joy that he is full to the brim and can't contain it anymore. But I think the best part is that even though he is teased, even though he potentially missed the Great Pumpkin, as the gang leaves he shouts, "If the Great Pumpkin comes, I'll still put in a good word for you." He is willing to share his magic and wonder. He is willing to believe enough for all of them.

When I grow up, I want to be a Linus, and I don't think that is such a bad thing to aspire to.


No comments:

Post a Comment