Wednesday, October 9, 2019

Day 9: October the Everything Month

On the way home last night I got to drive through some amazing scenery. The sun was going down behind me and the sky was a brilliant shade of rainbow sherbet. There were the most vibrant oranges, pinks and yellows lighting up the sky, it looked like stained glass in a cathedral. In some areas there was heavy cloud cover trying to obscure the radiance but it simply could not be contained and golden rays punched through and shone down on the fields. In front of me the sky was angry and dark like a bruise, all deep purples, blacks and blues, an inky menace that just dared me to keep moving forward. The wind was whipping the topsoil off the fields and into the roadways. The clouds churned and if I had been in a horror story I would have been driving towards certain doom for sure.
As I was rolling along I got to thinking about how this juxtaposition was a perfect way to classify October; here I was in my nice warm car, while outside it was cold, windy and miserable. One side of the sky was beauty and the other a beast. October is both cozy and creepy, scary and sublime. It just can’t seem to make up its mind what it wants to be, so like the Ariana Grande song says “They say, "Which one?" I say, "Nah, I want all of 'em" October picks it all.
October is an equal opportunity month, there is something for everyone. The young, the young at heart, the old, those reliving their glory days, those wanting to squeeze the marrow out of life and those who want to go slow. There are scary things, sweet thing, beautiful things, tasty things, farm stands, holiday bazaars, family things, time for individual introspection, outdoor activities, indoor snuggles, football, baseball, hockey, books, movies, songs, cold weather, the last gasp of summer, crisp leaves, October is a party unto itself. I love that the very last day of the month is a celebration. For 31 days we have gotten to say good bye to fall and hello to winter. We have gotten to take a test run for the super holidays to come. October is the no pressure month. If it were a celebrity it would be a laid back Matthew McConaughey saying “alright alright alright.” October lets you be yourself and experience it any way you see fit.
I really wanted to take a picture of the sky so that I could share it with you. I had ample time and space to pull over, but I chose not to. My camera wouldn’t have done it justice and some things don’t need to be captured, the fact that they simply were and we were present to see them is good enough. I hope I can remember the brilliance, but even if I don’t, that’s ok, I know October will have more in store for me.

Note: the pic I included is from Google and it doesn't begin to do justice to what I saw last night, but it is pretty, so that's something. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment