Tuesday, October 8, 2019

Day 8: Some Call It Socktober


Yesterday was the first day that I had worn socks in quite a while. It wasn't that I felt cold enough to need them, so much as where I had planned to go required socks. As it turned out, my plans changed and my sock wearing was for naught, but it, along with a timely holiday ad did get me thinking.
Normally in October we begin to get cooler weather. The blistering heat of the summer gives way to comfy warmth that slowly morphs into frosty mornings. Those chilly a.m. hours equal scrapping windshields, warming your hands on hot beverages and sock wearing. Since it is October, this means holiday socks, and I love holiday socks.
In general I feel that socks are boring and restrictive. Your choices are either white or black if you want to stay fashion forward, or just dress sensibly. Before I knew the joy of holiday socks, I tried to break with this black or white trend by introducing argyle into my wardrobe, but really, you can only take argyle so far. As soon as I was old enough to veto the frilly sock purchases and the monochromatic wonders that my mother chose, I started requesting crazy socks. It was my way of expressing my individuality. At my school we didn't have uniforms, it was worse. Girls had to wear dresses. If I couldn't wear my beloved pants, than at least I could wear crazy socks in protest.
October was what started it all. It is the first month after the long drought of summer when holiday socks start to emerge. Ok it isn't, there are Fourth of July socks, but they are pretty boring and the selection isn't so great. It is always a variation of red, white and blue and fireworks, which is nice, but limiting. Now October, October has tons of choices.
You can get crazy slipper socks, crazy knee highs, crazy footletts, or just plain crazy socks. They come in all kinds of colors and themes. There are scary socks that look like monsters are eating your feet. Sweet socks with black cats or candy. Vampire socks, monster socks, ghost socks, candy corn socks, bat socks, stripped socks, spider socks, bloody socks, socks with menacing eyes, socks with haunted houses, socks with words, etc… It’s great. And when I found the internet, I found all sorts of places to find good holiday socks.
I don't remember when I decided this, but one October I made the goal of one day purchasing enough October socks to have a different pair for each day of this wonderful month. Which given the variety doesn't seem like it would be so hard, BUT, I am quite picky about the socks I choose. They have to speak to me. Not literally. Good heavens, I am not that far gone, but they have to somehow be unique. To date I have 37 pair of October holiday socks and I am always on the lookout for more. In fact, I have my eye on a pair at the local grocery store.
Wearing crazy holiday socks under my dignified outfits makes me feel a bit rebellious and like I am getting away with something. Plus it is just plain fun. People look at outfits, belts, scarves, pants, shoes, earrings, etc.... b ut unless you are one of those crazy people who wear socks with sandals, no one ever looks at  your socks. Most of the time they are hidden by pants or close toed shoes. So when I have to dress up for a formal occasion, on go the crazy holiday socks. An important meeting I have to speak at...you guessed it, I most likely am rocking some weird footwear.
Wearing crazy socks gives me an inside joke to chuckle over all day long. At some point during a serious conversation, my mind will wander a bit and I will be thinking, hee hee hee, sir or madam, right now you are talking about X, and I am wearing socks with dancing candy corn on them. Hee hee hee. and then I go back to paying attention…..for the most part.
I think my favorite holiday socks are tied for a pair that I was gifted one October and a pair that I bought at Jo-Ann’s. The gift given socks are a trio of mismatched tall socks. You have a pair and a spare and they don’t resemble each other in any way shape or form, so you can mix and match them to your hearts content. Just my style. After all, buying a pair of socks is so passé. The other pair is full of eyes and if you leave them out in the light, in the dark they glow. So you have a leg full of glowing eyes staring at you and it can be quite disconcerting.  I love to wear them with short pants in movie theaters. I know, I know, I have a weird sense of humor. OOOh and then there are my purple bride of Frankenstein socks. I love those because you hardly ever see the bride, and they are a really fabulous shade of purple. Then there are my haunted house socks…….. Ok, I’ll stop.
Yup, I love my holiday socks. They add spice to my life, a spring to my step and a giggle to my lips. I highly suggest that you go out and get a pair if you don't have some already, and if you don’t I am happy to host an intervention. I will bring my holiday sock box with me.



No comments:

Post a Comment